Being a singer demands more than just talent—sometimes it requires the right tools and resources to nurture and enhance your craft. Whether you’re a seasoned performer or a beginner honing your skills, having the right equipment can make all the difference. As a singer, you want to have a toolkit you can rely on for both practice and performance.
This guide is a curated list of helpful resources and products for singers of all levels to ensure you’re well-equipped for every step of your musical journey. These are some of my personal favorites, as well as industry favorites, that are time-tested and singer-approved.
- Loop Experience Ear Plugs for protecting your hearing during loud rehearsals or events (remember friends, your hearing can get damaged!), but still allowing you to hear music clearly and accurately
- The Voice Straw & Cup Combo Kit for working on singing with less strain and more evenness. Also great for warming up and cooling down. Find more info on how to use these tools on their website and on YouTube!
- Nose clips for working on reducing nasality in your singing
Auditioning & Self-Tapes
- My favorite heavy-duty tripod phone stand that actually goes high enough to film from eye-level
- Collapsible double-sided backdrop for filming. I especially love the blue side!
- Post-it Tabs for your audition binder
- Appcompanist – has transposable warm ups and accompaniments perfect for supporting your practicing at home
- forScore – for viewing your sheet music as PDFs on a mobile device like a tablet. I love the ease of use and markup features. It even has a mini keyboard built in so you can play your notes!
- TurboScan – for quickly scanning documents like sheet music and creating PDFs instantly
Self-Care & Vocal Health
- Honeywell Warm Mist Humidifier – great to use overnight in the dry winter months to avoid waking up with a dry, sore throat
- Bach Rescue Pastilles Lozenges – menthol-free lozenges great for soothing the throat and mild stress relief
- Throat Coat Tea – super soothing, especially when taken with honey
- NetiPot – indispensable when you’re sick and congested!
- Nebulizer – I don’t currently use one but many singers swear by them! They quickly hydrate your vocal folds an can be very helpful for performances, auditions, and everyday maintenance
- Acting in Musical Theatre: A Comprehensive Course – filled with valuable information about the craft of acting. This is technically a college textbook so it might be overkill for some, but definitely worthwhile for someone seriously interested in becoming a good actor
- Breath: The New Science of a Lost Art – a fascinating book about the importance of breath in all aspects of life
- Full Voice Workbook – I love this series (4 books in total) to help developing singers work on music theory and sight singing skills
- Beyond Talent: Creating a Successful Career in Music – helpful ideas for career-building. This won’t be the end-all-be-all in today’s TikTok age, but definitely some good info and guidance. Geared towards more classically-focused singers/musicians.
- Solutions for Singers: Tools for Performers and Teachers – filled with more in-depth vocal technique information
- The Artist’s Way – if you’re feeling stuck in your artistic journey and need a refresh
- Singing Lessons for Little Singers – a great book with songs for super young singers just getting started
- Sheet Music Direct
- Sheet Music Plus
- Physical sheet music books, for example the Singer’s Musical Theatre Anthology series
- Scouring the internet for free resources 😉
- Attitude and gesture cards – for inspiration when diving into acting work
- Music theory flash cards – for drilling your music theory!
Hopefully these recommendations will help support you in your singing journey!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. The Amazon links in this post are paid links. All items mentioned are truly my top recommendations and items that I have used personally with success.